Using a gearbox or shifter gives you the sense of immersion you get when driving an actual car. Paddle shifters are great and much faster and easier to use, but it’s nothing compared to a gearbox.
The stick shift is essential hardware for sim racers because it just gives you the real car feel.
Unfortunately, we don’t have many of the standalone gearboxes in the market today, but the Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox is a good and versatile shifter for racing wheels, the best you can buy right now.
- What is the Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox?
- Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox design
- Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox compatibility
- Buying guide
- Alternative Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox
- Bottom line
- FAQ – Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox
- Q: What game consoles does the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox work well with?
- Q: Will the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter fit my steering wheel?
- Q: Where can I purchase the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter?
- Q: How do I install the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter?
- Q: Is the Thrustmaster TH8A shifter easy to install?
- Q: Can I upgrade the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter firmware?
- Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox Photos
What is the Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox?
The Thrustmaster gearbox is an excellent shifter for sim racing wheels. It works as both a sequential shifter and an H-pattern manual stick. That is, it is a dual-mode shifter. This makes it an excellent choice for sim racers who race in cars of different varieties.
The Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox adds authenticity and realism to your sim race experience. The firmware can be upgraded, and the internal memory also offers gearbox adjustments to suit your driving style.
Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox design
The Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox is a dual-mode gearbox that can work as a sequential shifter as well as an H-pattern manual stick.
This gearbox has a good build quality with a shift knob, a 13cm metal gear stick and bold silver gates. The internal mechanism is made completely of metal, and it has a good balance and heft to it.
The Thrustmaster TH8A can be mounted on almost any surface with the sturdy metal clamping system, which can be rotated 360°, and it also comes with two bolt holes on the bottom if you need permanent placement. It has a practical design, and changing the shift plate is pretty easy.
All you need to do to swap the plate is to unscrew it, remove the knob and then rotate the inner mechanism by 90° and then you install the new plate.
The gearbox automatically detects the new plate and re-configures itself. The ‘Hall Effect AccuRate Technology’ (H.E.A.R.T) provides you with a contactless magnetic sensor for long-lasting precision. It also does not have any switch that can wear out and render the shifter useless quickly.
Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox compatibility
This gearbox like most products made by Thrustmaster is made compatible with a variety of sim racing cars and products either from Thrustmaster or not. It can be connected to your PC using a USB cable or your wheelbase.
- It has a sturdy and precise build.
- It has a unique and metallic design.
- It has a 13cm tall gear stick with a detachable knob.
- It features a contactless magnetic sensor (Hall Effect AccuRate Technology).
- It has upgradeable firmware.
- It has adjustable resistance and metal internal.
- The gear-shifting feels realistic.
- Shift plate position and clamping can be adjusted up to 360° on surfaces from 1 to 55mm in thickness.
- It has 2 shift plates (H-pattern with 7 gears and Sequential +/-).
- Brand: Thrustmaster.
- Compatibility: PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PC.
- Build: Metal.
- Dimensions: 127.95 x 100.39 x 62.99 inches.
- Weight: 5.16 pounds.
- Shifter mode: H-pattern, Sequential.
- It is sold at a reasonable price.
- It has 2 shifting patterns.
- It has a wide range of compatibility.
- Switching between shift modes is awkward.
- Some parts of it have a cheap build.
The Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox is a good shifter with a solid build and a wide range of compatibility. Although the absence of a gear lock may leave more experienced racers in search of a more stimulating feeling and the cord might be too short for your setup.
Also, the sequential plate is plastic and not chrome like the H-pattern plate. But, overall, it’s a great product that will satisfy even the most demanding drivers.
Is the Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox good?
The TH8A gearbox shifter is a good sim racing add-on with internal memory and upgradeable firmware with adjustable gear shift to suit your style of driving. It also has a solid clamping system that can be rotated 360°, and if you can afford it, the Thrustmaster TH8A is the most immersive gear shifter you will find.
How much is the Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox?
The Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox with a solid metal build and great versatility is sold for $212. 99. It is a high-quality shifter that offers a lot of fun and realism.
Should you buy the Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox?
The Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter is a great option for those who want to use their existing Thrustmaster steering wheels. It has a versatile nature which means it’s perfect as a replacement for other shifters when you’re looking to get a more authentic feel without breaking the bank. Also, the firmware can be upgraded, and the internal memory also offers gearbox adjustments to suit your driving style.
What console is the Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox compatible with?
The Thrustmaster TH8A shifter works on all gaming console platforms. It is compatible with Xbox One, Xbox series X, PS4, and PC.
Alternative Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox
Fanatec Clubsport shifter is a good alternative to the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter, which also features the sequential and the H-pattern modes for more flexibility and comfort while driving. The G driving force shifter is a much cheaper alternative.
In conclusion, the Thrustmaster TH8A shifter is a good shifter that offers two shift modes at a very reasonable price and level. It is a high-quality product that adds more immersion to your racing experience. This gearbox shifter was built to stand the test of time, so you will certainly get years of good value from it if you buy it.
FAQ – Thrustmaster TH8A Gearbox
Q: What game consoles does the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox work well with?
A: The Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter is compatible with every gaming console, including Xbox One, Xbox series X, PS4, and PC.
Q: Will the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter fit my steering wheel?
A: Yes. It fits most steering wheels.
Q: Where can I purchase the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter?
A: You can purchase the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter from Amazon or eBay.
Q: How do I install the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter?
A: Follow the instructions on the box.
Q: Is the Thrustmaster TH8A shifter easy to install?
A: Yes, the installation process is simple and straightforward.
Q: Can I upgrade the Thrustmaster TH8A gearbox shifter firmware?
A: Yes! All you need to do is follow the instructions on the box and then upload the new firmware using the USB cable provided with the shifter.