Design - 90%
Compatibility - 75%
Features - 89%
Performance - 95%
The Oculus Quest 2 virtual reality headset, also known as Meta Quest 2, was developed by a division of the Meta platforms, Facebook technologies and released worldwide in October 2020.
Oculus Quest 2 headset, like its predecessor, the Oculus Quest, can run both as a standalone headset because of its android based operating system and on a computer compatible with Virtual Reality software when connected via Wi-Fi or USB cable.
The Oculus Quest 2 is an upgraded version of the original Oculus Quest VR headset. Both of the VR sets do share a similar design. Still, the new VR headset is much lighter in weight, with a better refresh rate, virtual resolution, improved Touch Controllers and Internal specifications.
An interesting thing about the Oculus Quest 2 headset is that it supports practically all software and games published for the First models.
The older games can also be upgraded for Quest 2 to support its High graphic quality. Another advantage to the Oculus Quest 2 Virtual reality headset is the addition of the Oculus link with the April 2021 software update from the developers.
The Oculus AirLink simply allows the use of the headset on a PC compatible with Oculus Rift software.
- The headset price is very affordable compared to other VR headsets.
- The VR headset is wireless and can be used outdoors to create more playing space.
- It has a great built-in audio speaker.
- Headset design is a bit lightweight and comfy with superb quality.
- It has a higher quality screen resolution.
- The Oculus Touch controllers are not rechargeable but rather use an AA battery.
- You have to have a Facebook account to use the headset.
- The battery power of the Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset lasts for about an average of 2hours.
Best Prices Online:
- Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Reality Headset: Design
- Buying Guide
- Best Prices Online:
- FAQ – Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset
- Is the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset worth buying?
- Does the Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset come with games?
- Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Reality Headset Photos
Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Reality Headset: Design
Oculus Quest 2 VR headset, though it is an upgrade of the Original Oculus Quest headset, still maintains the standalone design and other features but there are major improvements in its weight, comfortability and screen resolution.
The Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Reality headset box contains the VR Headset, Right and Left Oculus touch controller, the charging Adapter and cable, a Spacer and an instruction manual.
The headset shape is still the same (though smaller and lighter), with a white round-plastic front protruding forward and on the corner of the set is four external tracking cameras and a Black face-pad.
Then attached to the set are the head strap made with soft material; the left side of the headset has the USB C-port, the Headphone jack, and on the right side is the power button and volume button on the base.
The Virtual Reality headset has speakers built-in to its head straps which allows the user to listen to the game’s audio while playing games. There is also the headphone jack if you prefer to use a headpiece for the audio sound.
The Quest 2 Virtual Reality headset performance is excellent, with the headset upgraded with the highest display resolution and an advanced processor to deliver a powerful, exceptional and high-speed performance at a refresh rate of about 120Hz.
The VR headset has its memory storage in-built, and you don’t really need a PC to play games on it, as all you have to do is download the games you want directly to the storage space of the headset via Wi-Fi.
This process is similar to how Apps are installed into your smartphone, which you can launch and play at any time.
The Oculus touch controllers still feel good to handle, and the interface is similar to the First-gen Touch with a pair of plastic remotes that has a trigger, grip button, a thumb rest, two face buttons and an analogue stick.
The motion controllers each use a single AA battery to power it, unlike most VR controllers that have built-in rechargeable batteries. To effectively use the Oculus touch controller, it is advised you fasten it firmly to your wrist using the attached straps.
It has an Oculus Airlink feature that allows you to stream games by wirelessly connecting your PC to the Quest 2 headset using a Wi-Fi router. If you want the people around you to experience the game you’re playing, you can cast the Quest 2 Headset using the Oculus app to your mobile phone, tablet or even TV (using Chromecast).
The Quest 2 Headset lenses-spacing can be adjusted to different view settings by spreading or pinching manually within the headset screen.
The Oculus Quest 2 virtual Reality headset box comes with the VR Headset, Right and Left Oculus touch controller, the charging Adapter and cable, a Spacer and a user guide. I have put together below key features of the Quest 2 Headset.
- It’s a standalone VR headset with built-in storage that can be used to store installed games.
- The headset is wireless-enabled, and you don’t need cables to connect to a PC
- The Virtual Reality headset doesn’t have boundaries or restrictions to your play space.
- It translates your movement into Virtual reality in respective of your location and, without external sensors, still provides room-scale tracking.
- The VR headset has improved top-quality screen resolution and system processor.
- It features the Oculus Air link, which is used to wirelessly stream games from PC to the Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset via Wi-Fi.
- It has Hand Track support which allows users to use their hands instead of the touch controllers in some games with the help of the IO cameras on the Oculus Quest 2 Headset.
- Oculus Quest 2 has built-in audio on the headset so you can hear everything happen around you without plugged-in earphones.
- The Quest 2 Headset lenses-spacing can be adjusted to different view-setting by spreading or pinching manually within the headset screen.
- Double tapping the headset allows you to see your environment through the lens without having to remove the headset.
- The Oculus Quest 2 VR headset can be cast on your mobile phones, tablet, hardware using the Oculus App.
The key specifications for the Oculus Quest 2 virtual reality headset have been summarized below:
- Operating System: Android 10
- System Chipset: Qualcomm, Snapdragon XR2
- RAM Memory: 6GB
- Storage Capacity: 128GB and 256GB
- Display: LCD 1835 X 1920 per eye (at a fresh rate of 120Hz)
- Graphics: Adreno 650
- Controller Input: Oculus Touch (2)
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: Yes
- Ethernet Connectivity: Yes
- USB Port: Yes (type C)
- Camera: 4 cameras
- Product colour: White with a Black face pad
If you are thinking of getting this VR headset, you are making a cost-effective decision, but there are a few things I would still like to point out to you because as much as I love this headset, it has its own downsides.
An example is the smoky greyish look on the screen when it is supposed to be dark, though not very bad, but I think if an OLED display had been used instead of LCD, they would have offered a better outcome. And the graphic quality of the Oculus Quest 2 virtual reality is below average compared to PC Virtual Reality.
Also, there are few games that you can’t play as a standalone and thus need to connect with a PC; so far, I believe Beat Saber is currently the most played VR game.
But all said, looking at the low price of the device, I believe the developer gave it their best, so kudos to them for the awesome work.
The Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Reality Headset is an upgrade of its predecessor the Oculus Quest. And at the release of the Quest 2 Headset in October 2020, we had two models of the headset based on their storage capacity, 64GB and 256GB, at varying prices. But months later, one of the models was replaced with a higher capacity.
As of the time I’m writing this review, the two models of the Oculus Quest 2 headset are; the 128GB model (which replaced the 64GB) and the 256GB model.
Is Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Reality Headset Worth Buying?
Yes, Oculus Quest 2 Virtual reality headset is a fabulous VR headset that is quite affordable and a real deal that is worth every penny. If you are yet to experience the Virtual Reality world, believe me, you are missing out on a lot of fun and exciting experiences.
But not to worry, this might just be the wake-up call you need to give Virtual Reality a trial starting with the very affordable Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Reality headset. I’m sure after the experience you will be grateful you read my review.
The Quest 2 VR headset is one of the best and cheapest virtual reality headsets that you will come across in recent times. It gives you value for your money with the top-notch quality performance and realistic gaming experience.
The setup rate for the headset takes only a few minutes; after the device must have been charged, then you power on the device and start the activation process via the Oculus mobile App.
For the usage of this device, it is advisable that you keep the headset out of direct sunlight for the Inside-Out tracking camera to work appropriately and also to avert damage to the display.
Best Prices Online:
FAQ – Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset
Is the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset worth buying?
The Oculus Quest 2 VR headset is superb, with substantial improvement from its predecessor. Overall Oculus Quest 2 headset delivers an incredible virtual reality experience at a seemingly affordable cost that is worth it.
Does the Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset come with games?
Yes, the headset comes with a few games already pre-installed on its memory, and you can always install more games on the headset as you want.
Does the Oculus Quest 2 headset require a PC to operate?
No, Oculus Quest 2 VR headset can be operated as a standalone. But it can also be connected to a PC if the user wants to play some VR games that are only compatible with PC only.
Does the Oculus Quest 2 require a Wifi connection to work?
Yes, you require Wifi to use the headset and access some of the features and contents in the headset.
Do Oculus 2 controllers need batteries?
YES! The oculus touch Controller requires batteries to work, and it is advisable to buy two pairs of Rechargeable batteries to avoid downtime while using the controllers.
Do you need a Facebook account to operate the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset?
YES! Since the headset was developed by Facebook Technologies. It is a requirement for users to create a Facebook account if they don’t already have it before they can use the headset.